Powered By Blogger

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Christianity's Abuse of forgiveness



Christianity’s Abuse of forgiveness

My husband and I were horrified to see the misuse of forgiveness to support abusers.
I am a survivor of childhood sexual abuse and I was raised in the Christian church. I was abused by a male family member who was a Christian (and still is).

As I have started to face the pain of the consequences of the mental and physical effects of this abuse and started to share my story, I have been horrified at the reaction from Christians. (Not all but many)

I have at this stage chosen not to take the perpetrator to court as it happened many years ago but I have every right to do so.

The continuous message we have got from most Christians is that I should forgive the perpetrator and even to the point of support the perpetrator!  They have shown me no compassion at all, by doing this they are re victimising me, blaming me for something I have not done, instead of putting the blame where it belongs! (I am not the only one as the stats show 1 in 3 women and 1 in 6 men will be sexually abused before the age of 16 (Fergusson & Mullen, 1999)” from the CASA (Centres against Sexual Assault) website http://www.casa.org.au/casa_pdf.php?document=statistics )

I was sexually abused and received no justice at all not then, not now.  I am suffering a lot of mental and physical pain because of it but I am being shown hardly any compassion and no justice whatsoever! I have been getting therapy for the last 20 years, as I have to fix myself; there is no magical fix by just forgiving the perpetrator. There are many years of pain and hard work to deal with the effects of abuse. Not even a sorry from the abuser can take away the scars and the effects of the abuse.
It is possible to heal but it takes time and support.

What kind of Christianity is this?
Lets look at what the abusive Christian version of forgiveness does for the perpetrator and victim:

  1. The perpetrator does not have to take responsibility for their actions because they can just ask for forgiveness and it is wiped clean and it is the victims fault if they do not forgive the perpetrator. (how convenient)
  2. It does not allow victims to heal but re victimises them. (because they are bad people if they cannot forgive)
  3. It does not allow the perpetrator to face their own issues and get help and to heal so as not to reoffend.
  4. It does not let Justice be done. There must be consequences for actions and compassion and support for the victim. We do not tell people off if their partner dies and they are suffering grief why should a victim of sexual abuse be told off and not supported.
  5. Using this type of forgiveness is a ‘quick fix’ for difficult problems and it is easy for people to sweep it under the carpet as we have seen in the Catholic Church (I come from the Lutheran church and think it is just the same)
  6. It is not healthy mentally or physically to hold things in and not face them by just forgiving and not going through the healing process.

Forgiveness can be an important part of healing but it can only take place at the end of healing not at the beginning. Even if a perpetrator is forgiven they still should face some kind of consequence for their actions as that is justice, wether the abuser is remorseful or not, wether the abuser is young or old.  There should be a support system for the perpetrator to help them take responsibility for their actions and to change and heal.  There should also be much more support for the survivor/victim as they have done nothing wrong.

As Ellen Bass and Laura Davis wrote in their international bestseller ‘The courage to heal: a guide for women survivors of child sexual abuse’ from the 2002 version:  Advice to people working with survivors.
“Never say or imply that the client should forgive the abuser, forgiveness is not essential for healing. This fact is disturbing to many counsellors, ministers and the public by large. But it is absolutely true. If you hold belief that survivors must forgive the abuser in order to heal, you should not be working with survivors.” (Page 348)

So I ask where is the compassion and justice in the Christian church?

Margie Thomas
(Cert 4 in pastoral care)

No comments: