Powered By Blogger

Saturday, December 20, 2014

Sympathy for a cold!



Being a survivor of childhood sexual abuse as many of you know causes a lot of pain and suffering which is life long. Yes it eases as you let out the original pain and learn to cope with it.

 I have a small cold. I have warned people so as not to pass it on.  Not making a big deal of it but I cannot believe how compassionate people are! "Oh no you poor thing, not just before Christmas!".

I just spent over 2 years slowly recovering from a break down due to the abuse.  Hardly anyone said anything and most people didn't want to know.

So why is it I get so much sympathy for a cold ( I even had an offer of Chicken noodle soup!) when with the breakdown I was ignored when I really needed support?

I think it is that most people can only be empathetic if they have experienced what you have gone through. Most people have had colds and they know how annoying it can be when it is a busy time of year.

So what do we do about it?

We tell our stories, we educate the public so they can learn to have some kind of empathy.

I still find it amusing that going in and out of hospital with mental a mental breakdown  gets less sympathy than a cold!

Love and light and encouragement to keep telling your stories and heal.
Margie Thomas


No comments: